Product Review: Essence's Waterproof Eyeliner Pen


Here's another review for you. This time from a European drugstore brand, that launched in the Philippines a couple of years ago, Essence.

Essence cosmetics gives you easy access to great products that inspire you to express who you are with style, confidence and fun. We say NO to animal testing and YES to quality with prices affordable enough to try a fabulous new look whenever you want. With a full range of breakthrough beauty products and the season's hottest colors and formulas, you'll look great and your skin will feel great too! Express yourself with essence - europe's no. 1 cosmetic brand!* - source: Euromonitor International, 2013 - from Essence's website.

Essence claims:

Back to Black - Accurate eyeliner styles are easy to achieve with the smudge and waterproof eyeliner pen with a felt tip. Waterproof without a stain effect, your eyeliner can withstand spring showers with ease. For intensive eyeliner looks in urban black.

Image: Screenshot from Tati's Favorite Drugstore Liners video

For quite some time now, I have been on the look out for the best eyeliner. My ideal eyeliner has got to be an intense matte black, waterproof, smudgeproof, long-lasting, and of course, cheap! I know it's too much to ask, but a girl can always hope. After watching Tati rave about this eyeliner, I knew in my heart of hearts (lol!), I would one day, be holding this in my hand.


I was so excited to try this liner out that as soon as I saw the Essence counter in SM Makati (279Php), I immediately grabbed an eyeliner and a couple of their lipliners and rushed to pay for them without realizing I took the wrong eyeliner. I ended up just giving it to my sister-in-law because I wasn't too fond of its finish. I learned my lesson since and made sure to get the waterproof one with the blue writing as Tati instructed the next time.

This waterproof version also came in a pen form with a felt tip, similar to the first liner I got, but I noticed the tip is thicker and stiffer, which wasn't really a big deal for me as it was still easy for me to draw a wing. The only complaint I have is, since the tip is stiff, it sometimes skips when I try to draw a straight line because it drags the skin more. However, I figured with frequent use, it would eventually lose its stiffness and be 'just right'.

Initial Application

I love how black this liner is, it was made even more perfect since it dries matte! As for its staying power, it lasted the entire day! And I mean, the WHOLE day, it even survived my 6-year old's nighttime shower (which consists of my son trying to spray water everywhere, including me)! Not only did this liner last all day on my combination normal-oily skin, it also survived water being splashed on my face without running and minimal to no smudging or fading at all.

8 hours after application


12 hours after application

As for removal one must use cleansing oil or makeup remover to completely remove since it doesn't come off completely with just a regular facial cleanser.

Pros:

-Dries to a matte black
-Intense color
-Waterproof
-Long-lasting
-Did not irritate my eyes

Cons:

-Hard to remove
-Not smudgeproof
-Pen may dry out easily (after a month or 2)
-Stiff applicator tip that skips and drags the skin

The Final Verdict: I love Tati, and if she says this is the best drugstore eyeliner there is, then I believe her. This is a great purchase, as it is not as expensive as the other "imported" eyeliners available in the drugstore and it delivers its promise of intense color pay off, waterproof, and easy to control and use tip.

Ingredients:

AQUA (WATER), STYRENE/ACRYLATES COPOLYMER, ALCOHOL DENAT., METHYLPROPANEDIOL, CETEARETH-25, SORBITOL, SODIUM CARBONATE, LACTOBACILLUS FERMENT, PANTHENOL, GELLAN GUM, XYLITYLGLUCOSIDE, ANHYDROXYLITOL, XYLITOL, ISOPROPYL ALCOHOL, SIMETHICONE, PHENOXYETHANOL, METHYLPARABEN, CI 77266 (BLACK 2).

What about you, what's your favorite eyeliner from the drugstore?

Xoxo

No comments